Painting a Finish Stug IIIG (Sturmi)

After two months living in Finland (by the way, I think it´s been the best decision I’ve taken!), I decided to paint a Finish tank. First I thought in a captured T-26 tank, but immediately Angusin sent me an Stug III G.

Sturmi Finish Stug III G Thanks to Antonio Jesus, and other friends, from Wargames Spain, I collected enough information to paint an historical camouflage. I decided to simulate a tritonal camouflage with yellow, green and brown. I´ve used the following picture such as inspiration, the Stug III G nº 531-27.

In first place, I modified the original Stug III G from The Plastic Soldier. Using plasticard of 2mm from Evergreen, I created a platform on the rear and I prepared a new support in T-form for the fifth wheels. Finally, I added different elements of equipment from Battlefront and Skytrex.

Sturmi Finish Stug III G Then, I started painting the camouflage. I decided to use this colors:

  • Yellow: german dunkelgelb (from the AK-Interactive Dunkelgelb modulation set)
  • Brown: german rotbraun (from the AK-Interactive German Camouflages modulation set)
  • Green: olive drab (from LifeColor OliveDrab modulation set)

In every color I used three different tones: shadow, intermediate and light. Although I painted an extra light in the yellow color, to get a bit more contrast. Because this camouflage had hard edges I decided to use SillyPuty (or BluTack, or any adhesive putty). I started painting the yellow color, because it showed a small snake pattern. And is easier to mask this kind of pattern in the start than in the end. I painted a complete modulation. Then, I masked the yellow. I used a small amount of putty because the size of the yellow stains is too smaller than the other colors. I used the edge of a brush to distribute the putty.

Sturmi Finish Stug III G Once the putty is placed, I paint the brown color, applying a complete modulation once more time. It’s important to keep the same illumination pattern used in the yellow!. And I repeat the same process, before painting the green. I masked part of the brown, and I painted the green modulation. Note, green and brown occupy the same space.

Sturmi Finish Stug III G After paint all colors, I put Finish decals from Minairons. And before starting with the weathering effects, I applied a satin varnish in order to protect the acrylic paint. If you are interested in the weathering effect, you can check this video: how to paint 15mm German tanks. And to know how recreate the dry mud, you can check this other tutorial: how to make mud.

In addition, if you are interested, you can find a tutorial about how to do dusty roads in HeresyBrush.

Sturmi Finish Stug III G Sturmi Finish Stug III G

 

 

4 Comentarios

  1. grooghh

    Nice tank and excellent cammo. Thanks for sharing the steps

    Responder
  2. saturnismus

    Excellent handi-work as usual!
    Some comments though, if you want to build a more accurate Sturmi in the future:
    * The Finns didn’t have any shortbarreled StuHs with the 105mm howitsers, only the longbarreled 75mm StuGs.
    * The Sturmis were equipped with a standarlized stowage box at the rear, this picture from the Enso parade shows it quite clearly: http://sa-kuva.fi/static/81/20/118120_r500.jpg
    * You put the “hakaristis” upside down, the white “shadow” should be downwards.
    * The MG34 was replaced by the Finns with a Soviet DT machinegun, but it really dosn’t show that much in this scale.
    * The colors are also a bit of, they are a bit to “yellow”, some good examples on what it should look like, and a ton of other information can be found at Andreas Lärkas excellent site: http://www.andreaslarka.net/assaultguns.html

    Responder
  3. angusin

    Great comment @saturnismus! thanks for the info!

    Responder
  4. HeresyBrush

    Hi,

    Great great comment Saturnismus, thank for your time!

    Responder

Deja un comentario

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *